Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The fourth on two



Well, here it is, our baby knows how to ride two wheels! I can't believe it! Not long ago I said, my baby is out of diapers. We have had no diapers for 3 years now and now we are in a new stage- no training wheels! I just can't believe it! Time sure flies by!
Payton was determined to learn how to ride two wheels since his neighborhood buddies have already learned. He didn't want to wait until spring! I didn't push it or even encourage it like I did with his brothers. I didn't even have time to teach him, assist him. He talked about it for two weeks or more, asking me to help him learn. His friends, Aiden (5 years)and Michael (4 year-old) learned in three days. Finally, Payton couldn't handle it any longer. So, we went out after school in October- before Halloween- and practiced. It was harder than he thought. It was a cold day and not great for an extended time of practicing so Payton got tired and frustrated fast. After three times up and down our short road he stopped. The second day was even worse than the first. Payton was upset with himself. It wasn't fair that it took his friends a short time to learn. We practiced 10 times. (I reminded him to be patient, it will get better after day three, it was only his second day- he is competitive, Im sure he wanted to learn quicker than his friends did it!) The next day I asked Gray to assist him outside. Gray said he went about five feet without any help! We skipped a day. Then he wanted to get back out there. Greg helped him this time. Payton was so close to getting it but still teatering too much to get far. Later that fourth day Payton told me, "mom, come see what I can do", he got on and took off without me holding him but for 5 seconds. I told Greg, "wow, I didn't know he could do it already! you didn't tell me"- Greg said, "He wasn't doing that great this morning with me." So, sometime from Saturday a.m. to Saturday p.m. he decided he knew how and just did it. (He was out with his older brothers in-between the time with us parents. I guess that made the difference. Sometimes having siblings is such a blessing! It's times like these that make it all worth it!) So 4 days and he found his balance. 4 more days and he knows how to turn very well. Just amazing!
- sorry for the lengthy details. I just had to record it for myself to remember.

No comments: