
Sunday we went to church in Ewa, taking a brake from the beach since we all got sunburned, even I did! (I'm returning that Banana Boat stuff I bought at Walmart -it didn't work.) We had lunch in Ewa (pronounced Eva) with friends we knew from Taiwan- Lahapa and Rodney Ichimura. I regrettably don't have pictures of us together! We discovered from our drive that much of the south and southwest of Oahu is a desert, believe it or not! The pics below are from the Diamondhead Crater hike on our first day but here is proof of the desert in Oahu. I have video footage of our drive out to Ewa but I'll have to download that later.
Later Sunday night we took a walk along Ala Moana Beach and saw the sunset. The boys threw rocks into the ocean. Unfortunately I didn't always take my camera, or that night may be on video. Even some of the pictures we did take didn't turn out because our camera broke before coming to Hawaii and we just bought a cheap one that wouldn't function unless the natural light was just write- it's flash was worthless. I know, of all places not to have a decent working camera! Well, I still need to download the video!! (cross your fingers)
Monday - Friday we had adventures without Greg, since he had to work. (sorry daddy) Since my journal of daily events was lost at the Los Angelos airport on our return flight, I hope I remember everything. It was in Owen's backpack and he walked on the plane with only his DS game and we were in a rush so we didn't check up on him. I've called about it and I hope it will be found! At least we didn't leave Owen in Los Angelos!! We alternated beach days and non-beach days. Our boys complained too much and didn't care for the beach every day.Monday was laundry day, pool, mall and Ala Moana Park beach (across from our hotel) where I jogged a few times.
Tuesday we went north to Turtle Bay between Waimea and Sunset Beach. My goal was to see sea turtles, eat at Koina Burger and get a shaved ice dessert at famous Matsumotos. All goals achieved! A great day! We added on Sunset beach and drove by famous Bonzai Pipeline and Sharks Cove. A long fun day!
Surfing on knee boards at Sunset beach and pretending to. The waves were more rough here, I was a little nervous at first. Supposedly the waves were small compared to what they could get. I was told in March, the waves are bigger and more dangerous. That's when they have surfing competitions.
Wednesday- We had an early chocolate snack at a Honolulu chocolate factory called Menehune Mac, which is off H1 taking the same exit to Bishop's Museum. (Never made it to the museum. Greg said he heard it was really good. Oh well, I'd rather be outside.)
Above: Over looking East, Windward Oahu near the cliff. Gorgeous and very lush, the Hawaii everyone thinks of. Gray is holding down his shirt that is being blown up. Below: In windy mini cave and posing "normal" for once.
Onward, we drove over the Ko' Olau mountains and had an excellent, educational adventure walking around a botanical garden near Kane' Ohe. We saw spectacular, exotic foliage, landscape and birds.
Thursday- Beach Day- at Kailua East, Windward shore. It took awhile to find this place, I had to buy a map at a gas station. It was windy, true to it's name! The day started out cloudy and didn't clear up until after noon. Once it did, the view was incredible! We were here from 11- 2 then drove back to our hotel taking a different route, viewing all the south east corner of Oahu.
The boys played half the time in the sand and half the time in the water. Payton even got flipped and bumped his head on the sandy beach because of an unexpected harsh tide.
Let the sun shine!! Same Kailua beach after clouds blew away.
Pics below are views over Sea Life Park / Waimanalo on our drive back to the hotel. It was breath-taking to see how the ocean colors changed from torquise blue to royal blue to deep navy and even purple. The water is always clear and refreshing! The weather is temperate! I guess that is why it's a paradise! (Of course, traveling with four, little boys I had to remind myself often that I am so lucky to be hear and just appreciate as much of it as I could. Now, I am glad I have the pictures to look back at. I hope you enjoy them too.)
This concludes updated post 1 and our first full week in Hawaii. July 17- July 24, 2008.
9 comments:
OoooH! I am so jealous!
ditto!!!!!! Jealous here too. beautiful pictures and it looks like an absolute blast!!!!!!! I am glad you got to go and make such fun memories! Come check out my blog, too! Have a great week.
so fun. we had a great time back in november. we'll have to go back some summer.
WOW we are jealous... it looks like you guys has tons of fun...
BTW if you want your playlist to be smaller you need to edit the html code... it will say width of 435 (I think)...lower it to 270 or 300. Also if you want to edit is so you can take off all the links just go into the html and edit that section too....
Hey, Looks like you had an awesome time. I want to go too. It looks so beautiful there. My parents names are Steve and Marcia Clark who are serving their mission in the Palmyra Visitor center. If they run into them
Janae
Wow! I had a blast looking at your pictures. I'm really looking forward to our kids being your kids ages so we can take vacations and they will remember them! Thanks for my presents...Alayna keeps stealing my necklace!
I am not jealous because I have been there before, but I think you should have gone to see Pearl Harbor and the Battleship Arizona. By the way, Have your heard of a Morman Missionary that used to live in Taiwan called Reed Criddle??? He was one of my summer camp Counselors. Just Asking.
Nick
It looks like you guys had a wonderful time! I've been to Hawaii once and fell in love. We're hoping to go again next year.
I love the pictures, Bev. They boys are having so much fun! Well, all of you!
Post a Comment